What Increases the Risk of Menopause and Early Menopause
Menopause commonly occurs after age 45. However, menopause will occur at any age following oophorectomy (the removal of both ovaries). There are some other factors that can increase the risk of early menopause. Among them are:
- Eating disorders such as anorexia or bulimia.
- Genetic and autoimmune diseases.
- Heavy smoking.
- Radiation therapy to or removal of the pituitary gland.
- Radiation therapy to the abdomen or pelvis.
- Treatment with gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues (GnRH-As).